Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Lost in winter

Nikon 7100, 75mm, 1/60s @ f/14, iso 125
Choices, choices... 

The moment I imported the photo into Lightroom I knew it has to be black-and-white with a colour accent. Few adjustments later I ended up with the picture #1 (below). The problem was, even though the red is strong, it wasn't enough to make the subject stand out from the background.

I thought blurring with a radial filter was the answer (picture #2). But the blur was looking very artificial, like I tried to fake a DOF very clumsily, as some of the critics noticed. Oh, I posted those two photos to the Street Photography group on 500px looking for tips.

After a bit more pondering, I finally toned down the background a bit, but without blurring it too much. A bit of shadows brightening, a tad of contrast and voila! The end result is exactly, what I was trying to show.

I had two good titles actually three) for this photo:
  1. Lost in winter
  2. Looking for summer
  3. Which way to summer?
Ended up using the first one. What do you think?


Sharp (#1)

Blurred (#2)

No comments:

Post a Comment